For Immediate Release
RE: Generals announce Assistant Coach
(Victoria, Texas) The Victoria Generals of the Texas Collegiate League are announcing the appointment of their Assistant Coach for this summer's play.
Head Coach Chris Clemons has hired Blake Koch to assist him in the team's inaugural season. Koch is currently in his second season as a Graduate Assistant Baseball Coach at Hardin-Simmons University in charge of the catchers.
Clemons got to know Koch when he played for McLennon Community College and said,
"Blake is a quality young man with a passion for the game of baseball. His ability to communicate hitting to athletes is second to none. He was the first person I thought of to help get this organization up and running. He will be a huge asset to the Victoria Generals."
Koch is a graduate of Duncanville High School where he was voted team Co-MVP and named to the 4-5A Second Team All-District his senior year.
While at McLennon he was named Distinguished Academic All-American in 2005. After graduation, he continued his education at Hardin Simmons where the accolades continued:
- Named ESPN The Magazine/College Sports Information Directors of America College Division Academic All-Region VI First Team in 2007
- Named the American Southwest Conference West Division First Team Catcher in 2007
- Named to the American Southwest Conference Academic All-Conference Team in 2007
- Named the American Southwest Conference West Division Second Team Catcher in 2006
- Member of Gamma Beta Phi (National Honors Society), Alpha Chi (National Honors Society), and Kappa Mu Epsilon (Mathematics Honors Society)
- Named to the President's List from 2006-2008
"I am honored that Coach Clemons has selected me to be his assistant coach this summer," said Koch.
Blake will graduate on May 9 with a Master of Education degree in Sport Management.
"This appointment to the Assistant position is another example of The Generals commitment to building an organization of 'high character' individuals," said Brad Haynes, VP Baseball Operations. "It started with Chris and continued with the young men he has signed to play for Victoria this summer. I believe the community will be pleased with their representation."
The Victoria Generals are the newest franchise in The Texas Collegiate League and begin play June 5. More information can be obtained at their website: www.victoriagenerals.com